Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Accepted the Summoner's Code SidDefinition's Avatar

How to play Caitlyn better in late game?

I am having a hard time playing Caitlyn...She seem to become quite useless at late game when everyone is crowded altogether.

Any idea how I could become better?
    Rate +Rate -

Guide request!
    Team composition ∝ Ownage; A ward without map awareness just makes you look more stupid getting slain.
    Rate +Rate -

Junior Member Accepted the Summoner's Code CalebG's Avatar
    In general, you always have to be careful with Caitlyn, she has very low HP and a gank at late game means death no matter how careful or how many escape options you have given her.

Like any other hero, by the time the game has progressed into the "late" stage, your items would have changed accordingly too, which is why it is difficult for me to give you a definitive list of items, as a "one build that fits all" set of items would put you at quite a disadvantage.

However, if you are curious, these are usually what I would choose from:
    Infinity Blade (A must have for Caitlyn)
    The Black Cleaver
    Phantom Dancer
    Boots of Movement
    The Brutalizer (And perhaps upgrade to Youmuu's Ghostblade)
    Wriggle's Lantern
    Thornmail
    Force of Nature
    Bloodthirster

Q: Why Boots of Movement instead of Mercury Threads?
    A: Your survivability is very low. The extra speed + Flash/Ghost might save you. The .x seconds earlier you escape a CC ability wouldn't.

Q: Is there a reason why you put Bloodthirster last?
    A: Yes. It isn't a priority to me. What matters to Caitlyn is Attack Damage, and Attack Speed. The faster you get those shots off, the harder they hit and the more they pass through, the better. Remember, if they focus on you, your Life Steal, at max stack, will not help. You'll get burnt to a crisp before you can fire off more then 5 shots.

By now, if you havn't figured yet, I play Caitlyn as an assassin. A very cautious one. Once your team initiates, get in, pick your target, get rid of him as soon as you can, and pick off any fleeing enemies with her Piltover Peacemaker or Ace in the Hole.

If you encounter a 1v1, run. I mean, shooting Mr. Yi in the face is fun, but unless you are equipped to deal with him, you'll be dead. You can do hit and runs, but remember, always run towards your base, and not theirs, as it is probably a trap.

Plenty more things to learn, but you just have to learn them as you play her.
    Rate +Rate -

Senior Member Accepted the Summoner's Code netherlord's Avatar
    As you've probably noticed, Caitlyn has the single best laning phase of any AD carry. (Not counting Urgot, since he's not really a pure AD carry)
    Her late game starts to fall off as her Q and R needs you to be very fed in order to deal good damage, and if you're that fed, might as well just auto-attack.
    Using that fact, make the best of her early game to get fed so that her late game is better. She lacks any sort of attack steroids except her passive, and thus needs more items than say, a Tristana or Vayne.

As the carry, you need to have mastered(or at least be very good at) last hitting, and positioning.
    Last hitting is obvious. More gold = more items = more dmg/survivability.
    Cait has little to no problem dominating her lane, so you should use that to your advantage and farm like a boss early game, getting kills if the opportunity arises (call for a gank from your jungler or anyone that has good ganks).

Positioning is a little trickier, but is just as important as last hitting.
    Now, you're probably thinking "Just stand behind the tank and shoot the squishies. What's so difficult?".
    Thing is, good players WILL try to jump on you, as your damage is obscene as the ranged carry.
    You need to have good judgment on where to position yourself so that the enemy has to get through your team(or at least your tank) to get to you, as well as plan an escape option if possible.

Cait has 2 positioning abilities that you can use to get out of sticky situations. Traps and her net. Her net is a little difficult to use, but if executed properly, is nearly as good as Ezreal's Arcane Shift.
    Another thing about positioning is "who to hit". Alot of people will tell you "don't focus the tank", and that is mainly correct. However, that doesn't mean you should dive in for the squishies. Abuse Cait's natural long range, and shoot down easy targets (like melee dps, or someone caught out of position). You CAN shoot the tank a little, just dont focus him.

As for items, I definitely like to go for:
    Berserker's Greaves/Merc Treads, Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Banshee's Veil,(game should have ended) Bloodthirster/Black Cleaver.
    I often go for Wriggle's Lantern as well, because of FREE WARDS and lifesteal.
    I also find at times, I just get Zeal and get another BF sword before completing my PD, just so I can get in more damage.
    Banshee's Veil is a very important item to have on carries. This is so that the enemy Veigar/Leblanc/Annie cannot flash in and kill you in the blink of an eye from 1 combo. The extra health may also allow you to get off a few more extra hits.
    I main Nocturne, Tristana, Skarner and Xerath.
    Ask me anything.
    Officially quit League on the Elise patch.
    Rate +Rate -

Emissary of the League Accepted the Summoner's Code sisterlynnmarie's Avatar
    Easy way to faceroll as Cait: Throw 3 traps in a line behind the enemy's creeps.

Watch enemy become increasingly frustrated from mega-outzoning.

If they step on a trap, immediately Q in their direction.

For best effect, do this at a side lane.

Trust me, this is insanely effective.
    Last edited by sisterlynnmarie; 08-31-2011 at 03:39 PM.
    Disclaimer: The views and thoughts in the above post are likely to be directly opposed to Garena/Riot’s official stance.
            トリガー・オフ
    「――――投影、装填。」
         セット        ナインライブズブレイドワークス 
    「全工程投影完了―――― 是、射殺す百頭。」 
    Ghost Town: Emissary sub-section.
    I reserve the right to be completely wrong at any given time.
    Rate +Rate -

Senior Member Accepted the Summoner's Code
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebG View Post
    In general, you always have to be careful with Caitlyn, she has very low HP and a gank at late game means death no matter how careful or how many escape options you have given her.

Like any other hero, by the time the game has progressed into the "late" stage, your items would have changed accordingly too, which is why it is difficult for me to give you a definitive list of items, as a "one build that fits all" set of items would put you at quite a disadvantage.

However, if you are curious, these are usually what I would choose from:
    Infinity Blade (A must have for Caitlyn)
    The Black Cleaver
    Phantom Dancer
    Boots of Movement
    The Brutalizer (And perhaps upgrade to Youmuu's Ghostblade)
    Wriggle's Lantern
    Thornmail
    Force of Nature
    Bloodthirster

Q: Why Boots of Movement instead of Mercury Threads?
    A: Your survivability is very low. The extra speed + Flash/Ghost might save you. The .x seconds earlier you escape a CC ability wouldn't.

Q: Is there a reason why you put Bloodthirster last?
    A: Yes. It isn't a priority to me. What matters to Caitlyn is Attack Damage, and Attack Speed. The faster you get those shots off, the harder they hit and the more they pass through, the better. Remember, if they focus on you, your Life Steal, at max stack, will not help. You'll get burnt to a crisp before you can fire off more then 5 shots.

By now, if you havn't figured yet, I play Caitlyn as an assassin. A very cautious one. Once your team initiates, get in, pick your target, get rid of him as soon as you can, and pick off any fleeing enemies with her Piltover Peacemaker or Ace in the Hole.

If you encounter a 1v1, run. I mean, shooting Mr. Yi in the face is fun, but unless you are equipped to deal with him, you'll be dead. You can do hit and runs, but remember, always run towards your base, and not theirs, as it is probably a trap.

Plenty more things to learn, but you just have to learn them as you play her.
    Force of Nature and Thornmail are BAD on Caitlyn. Pure mitigation without any form of raw health is pointless.

Boots of Swiftness is a terrible item on Caitlyn too. Why on earth should you take 20 movement speed over 25 MR + 35 Tenacity anyway? If you want that 20 MS so badly, 1.2k gold and you get yourself a Zeal which adds that much movement speed.

The .x seconds earlier the CC finishes, the earlier you Flash away from harm's way, the better chance you survive. Gay guy can stun you for 2 seconds, which probably means death as your opponent has more time to work on you, with Mercury Treads, you reduce the duration of stun to 1.4 seconds, that's 0.6 seconds shorter than without.
    '''
    "
    Official Account : BRhuehuehue
    Rate +Rate -

Senior Member Accepted the Summoner's Code SidDefinition's Avatar
    Thanks for your help

If you guys can you have a look at the build I have been using
    I got from MOBAfire.com

http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-le...th-guide-52122

Ahrelia|Vidra|Riven|Caitnx
    Rate +Rate -

Use Westrice's Terror Cupcakes guide on Solomid.Net instead.
    Disclaimer: The views and thoughts in the above post are likely to be directly opposed to Garena/Riot’s official stance.
            トリガー・オフ
    「――――投影、装填。」
    「全工程投影完了―――― 是、射殺す百頭。」 
    Rate +Rate -

Senior Member Accepted the Summoner's Code currymee's Avatar
    Make sure you have ArmPen Red Quint ArmPen and Blue/Yellow:mana regen/lvl

These are the main runes you must have.
    Some people play AS and ArmPen but I highly doesn't agree with that.
    Why mana regen?

Your main skill to farm is first skill and harrass!!

And always stay at maximum range away from enemy heroes or anything.
    Your 3rd skill can use as an escape route like firing the direction through the wall of jungles(Must be very near)

I start off with doran's blade(usually) Unless I met some tough heroes then I go shoes x3 pots(Rarely)
    If possible you can lane till 3k , straight black cleaver/bloodthirst
    *if you having a hard time, then 3 doran's blade plus merc's thread.

Banshee's Veil if you met alot of CC ( as usual) Frozen Mallet is good for HP boost item too but expensive.
    Most importantly get wards, Caitlyn can hardly escape when ganks (only rely on flash or ghost)

Pratically, I suggest Flash + Teleport way better than Flash+Ghost.
    Just my recommendation.
    Rate +Rate -

Flash + Exhaust is better...
            トリガー・オフ
    「――――投影、装填。」
    「全工程投影完了―――― 是、射殺す百頭。」 
    Rate +Rate -

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast